This listing is offered in addition to the Programming Intern (2023-24) position. If you would prefer to gain coding/programming experience, please refer to that opportunity.
Join our small team of medical students and work alongside the Chief Technology Officer (CTO), getting hands-on experience with managing a website, its content, users, server, and everything in between!
Full Job Description
Since 2020, AIMS.Guide have successfully been using technology to make medical school more accessible to disadvantaged applicants. Our mentorship scheme is supported by a dedicated collaborative platform (My AIMS.Guide), and we develop and maintain online tools that are free for anybody interested in medicine to use. Notably, our Course Comparison Tool and Interview Simulator. In recent months, these projects have grown in size such that the technology team needs to expand.
This vacancy is to assist the Chief Technology Officer (CTO), Reece, to help maintain the AIMS.Guide website and ensure that administrative duties that fall upon the Technology team are completed (see: Responsibilities and Duties). The role will benefit from unprecedented support; 1-to-1 introductory coding sessions are offered, and additional ad-hoc meetings can be requested. For the right candidate, quick progression is possible within the team and managerial positions are plausible.
This position is for an unpaid volunteering role, that lasts for 12 months (with an ideal start date of ASAP, although this is flexible).
Responsibilities and Duties
This volunteer role is varied and incredibly flexible. It lends itself well to somebody who is eager to learn, has great time management, and can work independently when remote. In essence, this role will relieve some of the duties from the CTO.
Although dependant on the number of tasks assigned, a successful candidate will be able to commit at least 2 hours a week. This is only a rough estimate, and any contributions are appreciated. We too are students, and expect exams and assignments to take precedence. The workload of AIMS.Guide fluctuates according to university admission deadlines. Therefore, it would be ideal if the volunteer is keen to learn and dedicate more hours during the May-Sep months (allowing for exams).
As a brief overview of the current projects/services you could get involved in:
- Main AIMS.Guide Website – supporting the Content Lead by ensuring posts are visually appearing, and assisting with any technological issues along the way. Also responsible for alerting the Technology team if there is an error with the website.
- User management – creating user accounts and email addresses for new mentees/mentors on the My AIMS.Guide platform.
- Brand identity and graphic design – producing graphics and colour palettes and assisting the Social Media Team with their use.
- Small coding tasks (mostly HTML) – for example, re-coding some of the main website’s pages.
- If you are interested in larger coding responsibilities, please see: Programming Intern (2023-24)
We are happy to review any candidate for this position, provided they are keen to learn. This position within the Technology Team has a focus on using existing interfaces for managing accounts and content. However, some small coding/programming tasks can be assigned upon request.
- Can communicate clearly, and is good at working to deadlines.
- Has a computer with a reliable internet connection.
- Shares our passion for assisting under-represented individuals into medical school.
- Can commit at least 2 hours a week for most of the year.
- As all tasks are small (and relatively quick), if you want to contribute more than 2 hours a week we can definitely find you a larger assignment!
- Experience with WordPress.
Got a question about this listing?
You can contact [email protected] with any informal inquiries.